COONOOR VICARIATE

ST ANTONY’S CHURCH, COONOOR

ST_ANTONY’S_CHURCH,_COONOOR.jpg

Brief History: In 1863, St Antony’s parish, Coonoor was separated from St Joseph’s parish Wellington with Rev. Fr De Gelis MEP the first parish priest who constructed the church in 1867. Fr Bechu and Fr Petit MEP extended the two wings of the church and Fr Vieillard built the two beautiful spires in 1911. The altar of the parish was renovated and consecrated in 2002. The church underwent major renovation works in 2015. 

Address : St Antony’s Church, Coonoor-643 102, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2230712
Established : 1863
Catholics : 4000

Sub-stations : 1. Annai Velankanni Church, Ambedkar Nagar

2. Annai Velankanni Church, Kannimariamman Street

3. Christ the King Church, Vannarpet

4. Infant Jesus Church, Model House

5. Our Lady of Lourdes’ Church, Sri Nagar

6. St Antony’s Church, Marappalam

Religious :

1. Franciscan Sisters of the Presentation of Mary

2. Franciscan Sisters of St Joseph 

3. Monfort Brothers of St Gabriel

4. Sisters of St Joseph of Tarbes

Vocations : Male:6; Female:18

Institutions :

1. Coonoor Community College, Coonoor

2. St Antony’s Higher Secondary School, Coonoor

3. St Antony’s Primary School, Coonoor

4. St Antony’s Technical Institute, Coonoor

5. St Joseph’s A.I Girls’ Higher Secondary School, Coonoor

6. St Mary’s Higher Secondary School, Coonoor

7. St Mary’s Primary School, Coonoor

8. St Mary’s Nursery School, Coonoor

9. St Mary’s Hostel, Vannarapet 

ST JOSEPH’S CHURCH, ALWARPET

ST_JOSEPH’S_CHURCH,_ALWARPET.jpg

Brief History: This parish was part of St Antony’s Church, Coonoor until 1960. It was bifurcated and erected into a new parish in 1963, with Most Rev. Dr Aruldas James as its first parish priest. This Church was built by Rev. Fr C. Kunnath. In 2012, in commemoration of the Golden Jubilee of the church, the parish church was renovated and the new altar was erected. The new Marian Grotto, floor with interlock system around the church and station of the cross were put up in 2015.
Address :

St Joseph’s Church, Alwarpet, Coonoor-643 101, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2231320
Established : 1963
Catholics : 2500

Sub-Stations :

1. Our Lady of Lourdes’ Church, Kil Singara

2. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, High Field

3. Providence College Chapel, Bandishola

4. Sacred Heart Church, Singara
5. St Antony’s Church, Addar

6. St Francis Xavier’s Church, Gandhi Gramam

7. St Sebastian’s Church, Gurrency

 

Religious : 1. Franciscan Sisters of St Joseph

2. Sisters of St Joseph of Tarbes

Vocations : Male:6; Female:14

Institutions :

1. Providence College, Bandishola

2. Providence College Hostel for Women, Bandishola

3. St Joseph’s Matriculation School, Alwarpet

SAGAYAMATHA CHURCH, MOUNT PLEASANT

SAGAYAMATHA CHURCH, MOUNT PLEASANT.jpg

Brief History: Mount Pleasant was part of St Antony’s Parish, Coonoor. It was erected as a new parish in 1960 with Rev. Fr Thomas Thelly as its first parish priest. This was the first church constructed after the creation of the new diocese of Ootacamund. In 1964, the bell tower was built. Sagayamatha picture was installed in 2010 and Divine Mercy altar was erected in 2013.
Address : Sagayamatha Church, Mount Pleasant
Coonoor-643 102, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2206713
Established : 1960
Catholics : 2500

Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : 1. Little Sisters of the Poor

2. Sisters of the Destitute

Vocations : Male:1; Female:2

Institutions :

1. Home for the Aged, Balaclava

2. Sagayamatha Hospital, Balaclava

3. Tabor Home for the Retired Clergy, Balaclava

SACRED HEART CHURCH, APPLEBY COONOOR

SACRED HEART CHURCH, APPLEBY COONOOR.jpg

Brief History: The semi-public chapel of St Joseph’s college paved the way for a new church. The parish was inaugurated in 1981 with Rev. Fr Kurian Naduthadam as its first parish priest. The new church was constructed by Rev. Fr Cyril Lazarus in 2000. In commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of the diocese a new open hall and a beautiful Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes were constructed. The bell tower, the altar and the road side grotto of Our Lady of Velankanni were added to the parish church in 2015.
Address : Sacred Heart Church, Appleby Road
Coonoor-643 102, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2234493

Established : 1981

Catholics : 700

Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : Brothers of St Patrick

Vocations : Male:1; Female:3


Institutions :

1. St Joseph’s A.I Higher Secondary School, Appleby
2. St Joseph’s CBSE High School, Appleby

ST THEODORE’S CHURCH, SANATORIUM

ST_THEODORE’S_CHURCH,_SANATORIUM.jpg

Brief History: This area which is popularly known as Sanatorium was part of St Joseph’s Church, Wellington. The people were attending mass at St Pius X Minor Seminary Chapel. It was in 1900, that Rev. Fr J.M. Pottier, one of the MEP missionaries founded St Theodore’s Sanatorium. St Theodore’s parish was established in 1990 with Rev. Fr Joseph Antonysamy as its first parish priest. A new parish church was built in 2005 by Rev. Fr M.T. Joseph. In 2015 the newly constructed stations of the Rosary was blessed.
Address : St Theodore’s Church, Berhatty P.O.
Wellington-643 231, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2230787

Established : 1990

Catholics : 665

Sub-Stations : Infant Jesus Church, Haniada

Religious : Nil

BVocations : Male:1; Female:5


Institutions :

1. St Pius X Minor Seminary, Wellington
2. St Theodore’s Retreat Centre, Wellington


Religious : Nil

ST JOSEPH’S CHURCH, WELLINGTON

ST_JOSEPH’S_CHURCH,_WELLINGTON.jpg

Brief History: Wellington became a separate parish in 1865 with Rev. Fr Bushin as its first parish priest. To cater to the spiritual needs of the Catholic military soldiers and the faithful of that area, Rev. Fr Joseph Louis Ravel constructed the first church in 1864. In 2004 a facelift was given to the altar.
Address : St Joseph’s Church, Wellington
Barracks-643 231, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2200363
Established : 1865
Catholics : 9000
Sub-Stations : Annai Velankanni Church, Forestdale

Religious :

1. Canossian Daughters of Charity

2. Daughter of Mary Help of Christians

3. Franciscan Hospitaller Sisters of Immaculate Conception
4. Franciscan Sisters of the Presentation of Mary
5. Sisters of Charity of Sts Bartholomea Capitanio & Vincenza Gerosa
6. Ursulines of Mary Immaculate

Vocations : Male:8; Female:20

Institutions :

1. Don Bosco Dispensary, Tailoring School & WorkingWomen’s Hostel, Wellington

2. Don Bosco Retreat House, Wellington

3. Holy Angels School, Wellington

4. Holy Innocents High School, Wellington

5. Little Flower Primary School, Babu Village

6. St Joseph’s High School, Wellington

7. St Joseph’s Middle School, Wellington Bazaar

8. Villa Morello Day Creche, Wellington

9. Villa Sancta Maria, Wellington

OUR LADY OF GOOD HEALTH CHURCH, BOYS’ COMPANY

OUR_LADY_OF_GOOD_HEALTH_CHURCH,_BOYS’_CO

Brief History: Till 1967 this area was part of Holy Spirit parish, Aruvankadu. In 1977, it was erected as a new parish. The construction of the new church was completed in 1994 by Rev. Fr Ambrose. In 2015, in view of the Diocesan Diamond Jubilee, the sanctuary was renovated. 

Address : Church of Our Lady of Good Health, Boys’ Company Aruvankadu-643 202, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2203369
Established : 1977
Catholics : 2664
Sub-stations : Our Lady of Rosary Church, Palathottam
Religious : Sisters of St Ann of Providence

Vocations : Male:5; Female:5

Institutions :

1. St Ann’s Girls Higher Secondary School, Boys’ Company

2. St Ann’s English Medium Primary School, Boys’ Company

3. St Clement’s Primary School, Boys’ Company

4. St Joseph’s Tailoring and Knitting Centre, Boys’ Company

HOLY SPIRIT CHURCH, ARUVANKADU

HOLY SPIRIT CHURCH, ARUVANKADU.jpg
Brief History: In 1967, Antony Cardinal Padiyara established a diocesan
Catechetical, Audio-visual Centre at Aruvankadu that was inaugurated by
the Pro-Nuncio, Most Rev J. Caprio, in 1968. It was elevated as a parish in
1968 with Rev. Fr Joseph Antonysamy as its first parish priest. The oval shape
church was built and blessed in 2008 by Rev. Fr M.T. Sebastian. This is the
only church dedicated to the Holy Spirit in the diocese.
Address : Holy Spirit Church, Aruvankadu-643 202, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2231236
Established : 1967
Catholics : 1200
Sub-Stations : Nil
Religious : Nil
Vocations : Male:Nil; Female:3
Institutions : Nil

ST MICHAEL’S CHURCH, KETTI

ST_MICHAEL’S_CHURCH,_KETTI.jpg

Brief History: Rev. Fr Gudin volunteered to work among the Badagas, and he was followed by Rev. Fr Foubert in 1916, and it was during his time in 1922 that it was raised to the status of a parish. Rev. Fr E. Perie built the church and dedicated it to St Michael, the Archangel. In 2015 the new church was built and blessed by Rev. Fr Devaraj Nicolas. 

Address : St Michael’s Church, Ketti-643 215, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2517255
Established : 1914
Catholics : 1200
Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : Franciscan Missionaries of Mary

Vocations : Male:5; Female:7

Institutions :

1. St Helen’s Primary School, Achanakal

2. St Mary’s Primary School, Kerehada

3. St Michael’s High School, Santhoor

4. St Michael’s Primary School, Santhoor

5. St Michael’s Matriculation School, Santhoor

6. St Thomas’ Primary School, Hullada

ST THERESA’S CHURCH, SELAS

CHRIST THE KING CHURCH, KULLAKAMBAY.jpg

Brief History: Selas was a sub-station of St Antony’s parish, Coonoor till  1948. Rev. Fr Reynaud de Prigny was its first parish priest The altar was renovated in 2012.
Address : St Theresa’s Church, Selas, Katary P.O.-643 213
The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2284646
Established : 1948
Catholics : 937
Sub-Stations :

1. Sacred Heart Church, Non-Such Estate
2. St Joseph’s Church, Hulical

Religious : Sisters of St Joseph of Cluny

Vocations : Male:1; Female:2

Institutions :

1. Cluny Convent Nursery and Primary School, Selas

2. Cluny Social Service Centre, Selas

3. Little Flower High School, Selas

4. Little Flower Primary School, Selas

CHRIST THE KING CHURCH, KULLAKAMBAY

ST_THERESA’S_CHURCH,_SELAS.jpg

Brief History: Kullakambay and surrounding areas were part of Selas parish. In 1975, a property was bought by the diocese at Kullakambay and a church was built in it by Rev. Fr A.J. Joseph and it was blessed in 1976. Thus Kullakambay became a new parish in 1976. Rev. Fr A.J. Joseph was its first parish priest.
Address : Christ the King Church, Kullakambay P.O.-643 218
The Nilgiris Dt.
Telephone : 0423-2285260
Established : 1976
Sub-stations : Our Lady of Lourdes’ Church, Musabari

Catholics : 275

Religious : Sisters of Jesus

Vocations : Male: Nil; Female:1

Institutions : Christ the King Matriculation School, Kullakambay

ST MARY’S CHURCH, KOTAGIRI

ST_MARY’S_CHURCH,_KOTAGIRI.jpg

Brief History: St Mary’s Church, Kotagiri was established as a parish in 1867. The first church at Kotagiri was built in 1867. In 1937 the church was extended by Rev. Fr Morin. In 1940 a grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes was constructed by Rev. Fr Gentinne. The present church was built in 2004 by Rev. Fr C Arokiasamy.
Address : St Mary’s Church, Kotagiri-643 217, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04266-271549
Established : 1867
Catholics : 4750
Sub-Stations : 1. Arockia Matha Church, Orasolai
2. Sagayamatha Church, Riffle Range
Religious : 1. Assisi Sisters of Mary Immaculate
2. Cannossian Daughters of Charity

3. Carmelite Sisters of St Teresa

4. Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer

5. Franciscan Missionaries of Mary

6. Franciscan Servants of the Cross

7. Missionary Brothers of St Francis Assisi

8. Missionary Obalates of Mary Immaculate

9. Order of Friars Minor-Capuchins

10. Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration

11. Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows Servants of Mary Pisa

12. Sisters of the Holy Cross-Menzingen

13. Salesians of Don Bosco

14. St Francis Sisters of Vierzehnheiligen

15. The Order of Discalced Carmelites

 

Vocations : Male:2; Female:2

 

Institutions :

1. Assisi Prayer House, Nihung

2. Devamatha Health Centre, Kookalthorai

3. Devamatha School of Nursing, Kookalthorai

4. Holy Family Hospital, Cotherstone

5. Mount Carmel Orphanage, Kotagiri

6. Nallayan Middle School, Nihung

7. Retreat House & Kotagiri Community College-Mount Don Bosco, Kotagiri

8. Seminary of Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, Longwood

9. Seminary of Missionary Brothers of St Francis Assisi, Kota Hall

10. Seminary of Order of Discalced Carmelites, Belmount

11. St Antony’s Middle School, Kotagiri
12. St Francis Old Age Home, Kotagiri

13. St Joseph’s Children’s Home, Nihung

14. St Joseph’s Philosophical College-The Friary, Kotagiri

15. St Mary’s Higher Secondary School, Kotagiri

16. St Mary’s High School, Kotagiri

17. St Mary’s Home for Children, Kotagiri

18. St Mary’s Home School, Kotagiri

19. Vocational Training Center for the Blind, Kotagiri

OUR LADY OF FATIMA CHURCH, KOTTACOMBAI

OUR LADY OF FATIMA CHURCH, KOTTACOMBAI.j

Brief History: Kottacombai was part of St Mary’s parish, Kotagiri until 1990
with Rev. Fr S. Antonysamy as its first parish priest. A chapel was constructed
during the time of Rev. Fr Angelo Devadoss ofm cap. The present church was
constructed in1994 by Rev. Fr S Antonysamy.
Address : Our Lady of Fatima Church, Kottacombai
Tuttappallam-643 242, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04266-273649
Established : 1990
Catholics : 124

Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Male:1; Female:3
 

Institutions : Nil

SAGAYAMATHA CHURCH, ONNATTI

SAGAYAMATHA CHURCH, ONNATTI.jpg

Brief History: This parish was a sub-station of Sholurmattam parish. In 1987, it was made a separate parish with Rev. Fr Joseph Patrick as its first parish priest. The present church was built by Rev. Fr N.A. Joseph SDB in 1970. 

Address : Sagayamatha Church, Onnatti, Hettegal P.O.
Kotagiri-643 217, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04266-276091
Established : 1987
Catholics : 136
Sub-Stations : 1. Annai Velankanni Church, Kil-Kotagiri
2. Christ the King Church, Kootada

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Nil

Institutions : Nil

ST ANTONY’S CHURCH, SHOLURMATTAM

ST_ANTONY’S_CHURCH,_SHOLURMATTAM.jpg

Brief History: Sholurmattam was part of St Mary’s parish, Kotagiri. It became an independent parish in 1963 with Rev. Fr Angelo Devadass as its first parish priest. The church was built by Rev. Fr Jean Nouet in 1966. The bell tower and the parish hall were built in 1970. The renovation of the church took place in 2001 by Rev. Fr T.J. Joseph.
Address : St Antony’s Church, Sholurmattam
Kil-Kotagiri-643 216, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04266-278122
Established : 1963
Catholics : 310
Sub-Stations : Infant Jesus Church, Karakodumattam

Religious :

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

 

Vocations : Male:Nil; Female:4

 

Institutions :

St Antony’s English Medium School, Sholurmattam

OUR LADY OF Fatima CHURCH, ATTADI

OUR LADY OF Fatima CHURCH, ATTADI.jpg

Brief History: Attadi was part of the parish of St Antony, Coonoor in the beginning. A small prayer hall was built in 1953. In the year 1964, Alwarpet was made as a parish and Attadi was attached to it. The present church was built in the year 2000 by Rev. Fr John Joseph. Attadi was elavated as a parish in 2010 with Rev. Fr M.T. Joseph as its first parish priest. A bell tower was built in 2010.
Address : Our Lady of Fatima Church, Upper Attadi
Coonoor-643101, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2234359
Established : 2010
Catholics : 350

Sub-Stations : Infant Jesus Church, Sholadamattom

 

Religious : Franciscan Sisters of the Presentation of Mary

 

Vocations : Male:3; Female:5

 

Institutions : Nil