ST_MARY’S_CHURCH,_UPPER_GUDALUR.jpg

GUDALUR VICARIATE

ST MARY’S CHURCH, UPPER GUDALUR

Brief History: The parish was established in 1981. Rev. Fr J.S. Kanipilly went through a great deal of trouble to build the new, beautiful church in 1963. The church was completely renovated and beautified in 2010 by Rev. Fr C. Arokiasamy. 

Address : St Mary’s Church, Upper Gudalur-643 211, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04262-261298
Established : 1871
Catholics : 2500
Sub-Stations : 1. St Theresa’s Church, Suffolk
2. St Sebastian’s Church, Balmadis

Religious :

1. Sisters of Charity of Sts Bartholomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa

2. Missionaries of Mary Mediatrix

 

Vocations : Male: 5; Female:4

Institutions :

1. Fatima Girls’ Higher Secondary School, Upper Gudalur

2. Fatima Primary School, Upper Gudalur

3. Fatima’s Children’s Home, Upper Gudalur

4. Gerosa Nilayam Nursery and Primary School, Upper Gudalur

5. Gerosa Primary School, Upper Gudalur

6. Hostel for Students and Working Women, Upper Gudalur

7. St Joseph’s English Medium School, Upper Gudalur

8. St Mary’s High School, Upper Gudalur

INFANT JESUS SHRINE, LOWER GUDALUR

INFANT JESUS SHRINE, LOWER GUDALUR.jpg

Brief History: This was part of St Mary’s parish, Upper Gudalur. Rev. Fr Joseph Koovackal, the parish priest of Gudalur built a shrine in honour of Infant Jesus in 1986. Eventually in 1987, the new parish of Infant Jesus came into existence with Rev. Fr Thomas Thekkapara as its first parish priest.
Address : Infant Jesus Shrine, Calicut Road,
Gudalur Bazaar P.O.-643 212 , The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04262-261544
Established : 1987
Catholics : 1800
Sub-Stations : 1. St Joseph’s Church, Marapalam

2. St Joseph’s Church, Thorapalli Estate

Religious : Servants of Mary

 

Vocations : Male:4; Female:4

 

Institutions : Maria Niketan Day Care Centre, Gudalur Bazaar

ST ANTONY’S CHURCH, GLENVANS

ST_ANTONY’S_CHURCH,_GLENVANS.jpg

Brief History: St Antony’s Church, Glenvans was built in the year 1976. In 1978 Glenvans was made a separate parish with Rev. Fr Alexander Mathew as its first parish priest.
Address : St Antony’s Church, Glenvans
New Hope P.O.-643 226, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04262-269460
Established : 1976
Catholics : 470
Sub-Stations : 1. St Mary’s Church, Yellamalai
2. St Joseph’s Church, Periashola

3. St Jude’s Church, Subash Nagar

 

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Male:1; Female:4


Institutions : St Antony’s English Medium School, Glenvans

ST ANTONY’S CHURCH, DEVALA

ST_ANTONY’S_CHURCH,_DEVALA.jpg

Brief History: This was bifurcated from St Francis Xavier’s church, Pandalur in 1969 with Rev. Fr Joseph Pudhukulankara CMI as its first parish priest. In 1980, St Antony’s parish church was constructed by Rev. Fr Thomas Valyil in remembrance of the Diocesan Silver Jubilee.
Address : St Antony’s Church, Devala P.O.-643 270, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04262-260006
Established : 1980
Catholics : 1050
Sub-Stations : 1. Our Lady of Health Church, Marappalam
2. St George’s Church, Puliampara

3. St Jude’s Church, Nadugani

4. St Sebastian’s Church, Devala Hatty

Religious : Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross

Vocations : Male:1; Female: 3

Institutions :

1. Holy Cross Convent Matriculation School, Devala

2. Sneha Sadan Dispensary, Devala

ST FRANCIS XAVIER’S CHURCH, PANDALUR

ST_FRANCIS_XAVIER’S_CHURCH,_PANDALUR.jpg

Brief History: It was a sub-station of St Mary’s parish, Upper Gudalur. In 1951, it was made a separate parish with Rev. Fr Kunnath as its first parish priest. Rev. Fr Thomas Maniangat built a beautiful church in 1998. 

Address : St Francis Xavier’s Church, Pandalur P.O.-643 233
The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04262-220311
Established : 1950
Catholics : 1400
Sub-Stations : 1. Holy Family Church, Chelakunna
2. Our Lady of Velankanni Shrine, Cherangode

3. St Joseph’s Church, Nelliyalam

 

Religious :

Sisters of Charity of Sts Bartholomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa

Vocations : Male:Nil; Female:6

Institutions :

St Francis Xavier’s Girls’ High School, Pandalur

St Francis Xavier’s Primary School, Pandalur

St Francis Xavier’s Girls’ Hostel, Pandalur

ST SEBASTIAN’S CHURCH, CHERAMBADI

ST_SEBASTIAN’S_CHURCH,_CHERAMBADI.jpg

Brief History: Cherambadi was a sub-station of St Mary’s parish, Upper Gudalur. The church was rebuilt by Rev. Fr Paul Valloran. When Pandalur was erected as a parish it was attached thereto. In 1985, it was made a parish in its own right with Rev. Fr K.V. Antony as its first parish priest.
Address : St Sebastian’s Church, Cherambadi P.O.-643 205
The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04262-266613
Established : 1985
Catholics : 425

Sub-Stations : St Antony’s Church, Erumadu

 

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Nil

 

Institutions : Nil

OUR LADY OF LOURDES’ CHURCH, DEVARSHOLA

OUR_LADY_OF_LOURDES’_CHURCH,_DEVARSHOLA.

Brief History: Devarshola was part of St Antony’s parish, Devala up to 1985. In 1985, it became a separate parish with Rev. Fr Soosai Arockiam as its first parish priest. The present church was built in 2010 by Rev. Fr Arockiarajan.
Address : Our Lady of Lourdes’ Church, Devarshola-643 207
The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 04262-222210
Established : 1985
Catholics : 560
Sub-Stations : St Antony’s Church, Bitherkad.
Religious : Sisters of the Mercy of the Holy Cross

Vocations : Male:2; Female:1

Institutions :

Holy Cross Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Devarshola

ST SEBASTIAN’S CHURCH, NADUVATTAM

ST_SEBASTIAN’S_CHURCH,_NADUVATTAM.jpg

Brief History: Naduvattam was a sub-station of St Mary’s parish, Upper Gudalur. In 1956, it was erected as a separate parish with Rev. Fr Raynard de Prigny as its first parish priest. The present church was built by Rev. Fr Cyril Lazarus in 1975. It was renovated and the bell tower was built in 2010.
Address : St Sebastian’s Church, Naduvattam-643 224, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2256947
Established : 1956
Catholics : 500
Sub-Stations : 1. Annai Velankanni Church, T.R. Bazaar
2. Anumapuram

3. St Sebastian’s Church, Pykara

 

Religious : Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Bon Secours

 

Vocations : Male:1; Female:Nil


Institutions :

1. Holy Cross Primary School, Naduvattam

2. Siru Malar Manaviar Illam, Naduvattam

MOTHER OF PERPETUAL HELP CHURCH, MASINAGUDI

MOTHER OF PERPETUAL HELP CHURCH, MASINAG

Brief History: Masinagudi was formerly a sub-station of St Mary’s parish, Upper Gudalur. The church was built and blessed in 1976 by Rev. Fr Immanuel Olickal. In 1977, it was made a separate parish with Rev. Fr M.T. Sebastian as its first parish priest.
Address : Mother of Perpetual Help Church
Masinagudi-643 223, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-256471
Established : 1977
Catholics : 400
Sub-Stations : 1. St Joseph’s Church, Singara
2. Immaculate Conception Church, Moyar

Religious : Sisters of the Adoration of Blessed Sacrament

 

Vocations : Male:Nil; Female:Nil

 

Institutions : Child Jesus English Medium School, Masinagudi