OOTY VICARIATE

SACRED HEART CATHEDRAL, Udhagamandalam

SACRED HEART CATHEDRAL.jpg

Brief History: The diocese of Ootacamund was raised to a separate diocese in its own right on 03rd July,1955. Sacred Heart church became the diocesan Cathedral which was constructed by Rev. Fr Foubert in 1897. The bell towers were later additions and were named “Towers of Victory,” soon after the first world war in 1918. In 1987 this church was renovated and extended. A new face lift was given to the church in 2014 in view of the diocesan Diamond Jubilee.
Address : Sacred Heart Church, Havelock Road, Bandishola
Udhagamandalam-643 001, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2442870
Established : 1897
Catholics : 4,800

Sub-Stations : St Antony’s Shrine, Charring Cross

Religious :

1. Adoration Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, 

2. Franciscan Sisters of the Presentation of Mary.

 

Vocations : Male:7; Female:5

 

Institutions :

1. Neelavani Communication Centre, Charring Cross, 

2. Sacred Heart Higher Secondary School, Bandishola, 

3. Sacred Heart Middle School, Bandishola, 

4. Udhagamandalam Social Service Society, Charring Cross, 

5. Udhayam Youth Centre, Charring Cross.

ST MARY’S CHURCH, UDHAGAMANDALAM

ST_MARY’S_CHURCH,_UDHAGAMANDALAM.jpg

Brief History: The present St Joseph’s primary school built in 1837, was the first Catholic church in Udhagamandalam. The present church of St Mary’s was constructed in 1870 by Rev. Fr Fiarom. When Rev. Fr Kapel served as parish priest, he made arrangements to bring the Statue of Our Lady of Assumption from France. In memory of the Golden Jubilee of the Diocese the busts of Cardinal Antony Padiyara and Archbishop Aruldas James were erected beside the church. Adoration Chapel, Stations of the Cross around the church were erected in 2012. In the same year, a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe from Mexico was brought and installed in the church. The church and the sanctuary underwent the renovation works in 2014.

Address : St Mary’s Church, St Mary’s Hill, Udhagamandalam, The Nilgiris District, 643101

 

Telephone : 0423-2442864

Established : 1838

Catholics : 5,225

Sub-Stations :

1. Annai Velankanni Church, Muthorai
2. Infant Jesus Shrine, Upper Bazaar
3. Sacred Heart Church, Mullikorai

Religious :

1. Brothers of St Michael, the Archangel,

2. Daughters of the Heart of Mary,

3. Francisan Missionaries of Mary,

4. Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Bon Secours.

Vocations : Male:12; Female:25

Institutions :

1. Anbu Counselling Centre, Udhagamandalam

2. Bethlehem Higher Secondary School, Udhagamandalam

3. Bethlehem Primary School, Udhagamandalam

4. Child Jesus Primary School, Udhagamandalam

5. Christus Rex Senior Secondary School, Udhagamandalam

6. Family Welfare Centre, Udhagamandalam

7. Loretto Home, Udhagamandalam

8. Mariyagam Working Women’s Hostel, Udhagamandalam

9. Nazareth Nursery & Primary School, Udhagamandalam

10. Nazareth Convent High School, Udhagamandalam

11. Pastoral Centre-Arulagam, Udhagamandalam

12. St John Berchmans Preparatory Seminary,Udhagamandalam

13. St Francis Xavier’s Middle School, Kuruthukuli

14. St Joseph’s College for Education, Udhagamandalam

15. St Joseph’s Higher Secondary School, Udhagamandalam

16. St Joseph’s Primary School, Udhagamandalam

17. St Theresa’s Primary School, Hosatty

ST THERESA’S CHURCH, FINGERPOST

ST_THERESA’S_CHURCH,_FINGERPOST.jpg

Brief History: Until 1934 the chapel of St Joseph’s Industrial School served as the parish church. In 1935, it was bifurcated from St Mary’s Parish, Udhagamandalam. The present church was built in 1965 and renovated in 1979.
Address : St Theresa’s Church, Fingerpost
Udhagamandalam-643 006, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2442417
Established : 1935
Catholics : 6,900
Sub-Stations : 1. St Antony’s Church, Buttfire
2. St Sebastian’s Church, Kandal

Religious :

1. Franciscan Sisters of the Presentation of Mary
2. Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate

3. Society of Jesus

Vocations : Male:9; Female:6

Institutions :

1. Nirmala Hostel for Girls, Fingerpost

2. Nirmala Matriculation High School, Fingerpost

3. Nirmala Primary School, Kakathope

4. Nirmala Nursing Home, Fingerpost

5. Red Cross Nursery School, Kandal

6. St Theresa’s Primary School, Fingerpost

7. St Theresa’s High School, Fingerpost

8. St Antony’s Primary School, Kandal

9. St Joseph’s Industrial School, Fingerpost

10. Tailoring Centre, Fingerpost

ST JUDE’S CHURCH, ELKHILL

ST_JUDE’S_CHURCH,_ELKHILL.jpg

Brief History: The church was built in 1984 by Rev. Fr Cyrriac Kunnath. In 1985, it was bifurcated from St Mary’s Parish, Udhagamandalam with Rev. Fr. Francis Xavier as its first parish priest. A Day Creche under the care of the Sisters of the Daughters of the Heart of Mary was started. Later a building for tailoring, typing and tuition was put up. Address : St Jude’s Church, Elkhill
Udhagamandalam-643 001,The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2444413
Established : 1985
Catholics : 1500

Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Male:1; Female:2

Institutions :

1. Arul Nilayam Day Care Centre, Elkhill

2. Tailoring, Typing & Tuition Centre, Elkhill

OUR LADY OF LOURDES’ CHURCH, INDUNAGAR

OUR_LADY_OF_LOURDES’_CHURCH,_INDUNAGAR.j

Brief History: This parish was created in 1975 mainly for the faithful who resided in Indunagar and who were employed in the Hindustan Photo Films Factory. 

Rev. Fr Laborde, the first parish priest was instrumental in the development of this parish. In 2000, a grotto was constructed in the church premises and in 2001, the bell tower was erected. The altar was renovated in 2012.
Address : Our Lady of Lourdes’ Church, Indunagar
Udhagamandalam-643 005. The Nilgiris Dt

Telephone : 0423-2448436

Established : 1975

Catholics : 450

Sub-Stations : Annai Velankanni Church, Sholur

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Male:1; Female:Nil

Institutions : Nil

ST JOSEPH’S CHURCH, KALHATTI

ST_JOSEPH’S_CHURCH,_KALHATTI.jpg

Brief History: In 1968, it was erected as a separate parish. In 1975,  when
Indunagar was established as a parish, Kalhatti became its sub-station. Once again in 1992, Kalhatti came into existence as a separate parish. In 2015 the altar and the church were renovated and the bell tower was constructed in memory of the Golden Jubilee of the parish church.
Via-Indunagar-643 005, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2252082
Established : 1992
Catholics : 440

Sub-Stations : 1. Annai Velankanni Church, Alagarmalai

2. Our Lady of Lourdes’ Church, Sholada

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Nil

Institutions : Nil

ST ANTONY’S CHURCH, LOVEDALE

ST_ANTONY’S_CHURCH,_LOVEDALE.jpg

Brief History: In 1905, a small chapel was built and remained a sub-station of St Mary’s Parish, Udhagamandalam. The church was built by Rev. Fr Robin in the year 1907. In 1941, it was raised to the status of a separate parish with Rev. Fr Paul Cryssac as its first parish priest. In 1942, the chapel was renovated to the present structure. In 1949, a bell tower was built. The church underwent renovation works in 2010.
Address : St Antony’s Church, Lovedale-643 003, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2440603
Established : 1941
Catholics : 2350

Sub-Stations : St Sebastian’s Church, Manjanakorai

Religious : Franciscan Missionaries of Mary

Vocations : Nil

Institutions :

1. Leena’s Nursery & Primary School, Lovedale

2. Leena’s Boarding, Lovedale

3. St Antony’s Middle School, Lovedale

4. St Francis Primary School, Manjanakorai

5. St Antony’s High School, Lovedale

ST ANTONY’S CHURCH, KOTHUMUDI

ST_ANTONY’S_CHURCH,_KOTHUMUDI.jpg

Brief History: The church was built in 1968. In 1982, Kothumudi was bifurcated from Sacred Heart Cathedral and was made as a new parish with Rev. Fr Abraham Kuttilampil as its first parish priest. The Norbertine Fathers took charge of the parish in 2012.
Address : St Antony’s Church, Kothumudi-643 002
Thuneri P.O. The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2507473
Established : 1982
Catholics : 120
Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious :

The Norbertine Fathers(Order of the Canons Regular of Premontre)

Vocations : Male:1; Female:Nil

Institutions : Arul Nilayam Clinic, Kothumudi

ST THERESA’S CHURCH, NANJANAD

ST_THERESA’S_CHURCH,_NANJANAD.jpg

Brief History: St Theresa parish, Nanjanad, was bifurcated from St Mary’s parish, Udhagamandalam in 1985 with Rev. Fr M.T. Joseph as its first parish priest. A home for the physically and mentally challenged and for the aged persons is under the care of FMM sisters. In 1994 the new chapel at Nanjanad was blessed and inaugurated.
Address : St Theresa’s Church, Nanjanad-643 004
The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2550652
Established : 1985
Catholics : 210

Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : Franciscan Missionaries of Mary

Vocations : Male:2; Female:1

Institutions : Pope Paul VI Mercy Home, Nanjanad

ANNAI VELANKANNI CHURCH, EMERALD

ANNAI VELANKANNI CHURCH, EMERALD.jpg

Brief History: The parish of Ithalar was erected in 1957 with Rev. Fr Humberoto D’Souza as its first parish priest and Emerald was part of Ithalar. The parish church was built in 1987. After the remodelling and extension of the chapel at Emerald it was made a separate parish in 1987. The altar was renovated in 2015.
Address : Annai Velankanni Church, Emerald P.O.
The Nilgiris Dt– 643 209.
Telephone : 0423-2595815
Established : 1987
Catholics : 800

Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate

Vocations : Male:1; Female:Nil

Institutions : Annai Illam Dispensary, Emerald

ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI’S CHURCH, KUNDAH

ST_FRANCIS_OF_ASSISI’S_CHURCH,_KUNDAH.jp

Brief History: Kundah had been for a long time a sub station of  St Theresa’s parish, Selas and later of St Antony’s parish, Lovedale. In 1963, it was made a separate parish with Fr Roland Lefevre MEP as its parish priest.
Address : St Francis of Assisi’s Church
Kundah Bridge P.O-643 219, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2509231
Established : 1963
Catholics : 800
Sub-Stations : 1. Sagayamatha Church, Chamraj

2. Our Lady of Lourdes’ Church, Thaishola

Religious Missionaries of Mary Mediatrix

Vocations : Male:1; Female:Nil

Institutions : Sr Alphonsa CBSE High School, Kundah

ST THOMAS’ CHURCH, MULLI

ST THOMAS’ CHURCH, MULLI.jpg

Brief History: The parish at Parli was a sub-station of St Francis of Assisi’s parish, Kundah. In 1987, Parli was made a separate parish with Rev. Fr Lefevre as its first parish priest. The place is mostly inhabited by the tribals called Irulas. A dispensary was opened in 1968 at Mulli to render medical service to the tribals. Rev. Fr Lefevre MEP took the initiative to build a new parish church in Mulli in 2003.
Address : St Thomas’ Church, Athikadavu P.O-641 102
Coimbatore Dt
Telephone : 04294-209519
Established : 1987

Catholics : 200

Sub-Stations :

St Theresa of Child Jesus Church, Pillur Dam

Religious :

1. Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, 

2. Missionaries of Faith

Vocations : Male:1; Female:Nil

Institutions :

1. Manos Unidas Animation Centre, Mulli

2. St Francis Hospital, Mulli

KANDAL CROSS SHRINE, KANDAL

KANDAL CROSS SHRINE, KANDAL.jpg

Brief History: There is a life size bronze crucifix imported from France by Rev. Fr Paul Crayssac, the then parish priest of St Mary’s Church, Udhagamandalam which was installed on a boulder in 1933 to commemorate the 19th centenary of the Redemption of mankind. The shrine was a sub-station of St Theresa’s parish, Fingerpost till 1998. In 1998, it was established as a separate parish.
The new Church was constructed, by Rev. Fr Alexander in 2011.
Address : Kandal Cross Shrine, Fingerpost
Udhagamanadalam-643 006, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2445898

Established : 1998

Catholics : 360

Sub-Stations : Nil

Religious : Nil

Vocations : Male:2; Female:Nil

Institutions : Nil

ST THOMAS’ CHURCH, NONDIMEDU

ST_THOMAS’_CHURCH,_NONDIMEDU.jpg

Brief History: The church was a sub-station of Sacred Heart Cathedral till 2007. The church was constructed in 1995 by Rev. Fr M.T. Joseph in memory of the centenary of the Sacred Heart Cathedral. In 2008, it became a separate parish with Rev. Fr V.M. Jacob as its first parish priest.
Address : St Thomas’ Church, Nondimedu, Coonoor Road
Udagamandalam-643 001, The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : 0423-2440352
Established : 2007
Catholics : 560
Sub-Stations : Nil
Religious : Sisters of Divine Saviour

Vocations : Nil

 

Institutions : St Thomas’ Primary School, Nondimedu

OUR LADY OF ROSARY CHURCH, ROSE MOUNT
(QUASI PARISH)

OUR LADY OF ROSARY CHURCH, ROSE MOUNT.jp

Brief History: A prayer hall was constructed in 1988 for the Catholic population of Rose Mount a sub-station of St Mary’s Church, Ooty. It became a quasi parish in 2013, with Rev. Fr Kingston Antony as its first parish priest.
Address : Our Lady of Rosary Church, Rose Mount
Udhagamandalam-643 001 The Nilgiris Dt
Telephone : Nil
Established : 2013
Catholics : 340
Sub-Stations : Nil
Religious : Nil

Vocations : Male:1; Female:3

Institutions : Nil